How do you look for a job? Do you go out firing copies of your résumé to every vacancy that comes up? Sign up on all employment platforms? Ask your friends and family for help?
Believe me: the lack of focus and a more defined strategy may be hindering you in this search.
Anyone who wants a new job needs to be focused, remain confident and know how to communicate their experiences and potential in the best way possible.
Below, you will find 11 tips that will help you be more successful when looking for a new job.
1. Have a clear goal
We know that for many people not working is a source of stress and despair, but it is necessary to remain calm.
Instead of starting to apply for hundreds of job offers, which often have nothing to do with your talents and abilities, be very clear about your objective.
And how to do this?
It’s very simple: think of a job that you want, that matches your academic profile, or that requires skills you’re very good at.
With that in mind, you can start looking for a job and make a list of the companies you’d like to work for. Contact them on social networks or internet portals and request the list of vacancies.
Signing up for job offers that match your profile will make the search much easier.
Meeting people is a great way to get a job, but that doesn’t mean you should hand out business cards indiscriminately.
Focus on the people you can build a relationship with: think about who you can help and who might also have an opportunity for you.
Networking is about exchanging knowledge, helping each other, making collaborations – not just handing out a card or adding yourself as a friend on some social network.
Be interested in meeting people who work in your area and who, in the future, may recommend you in the company where they work, for example.
Who you least expect can give you the opportunity of a lifetime!
Social media is also very useful for finding a job.
Every day, hundreds of recruiters go online to find professionals and fill their vacancies. Therefore, it is important that you create a profile on social media, especially on LinkedIn , which is geared towards the professional environment.
Be sure to post a profile picture in which you demonstrate professionalism, highlight your key skills , indicate your level of education and previous experience.
On the internet, you can find hundreds of pages to find work that can help you find vacancies according to your professional profile, location and even according to the positions you would like to occupy.
Sometimes even the best of professionals, with all the skills needed to fill a vacancy, are dropped by recruiters because of a bad resume.
This is because the résumé acts as a candidate’s cover letter, summarizing all of their qualifications.
Your resume needs to be able to show the company that you are the ideal candidate to cover their need. So, highlight your strengths so that once the resume is read, the recruiter will think you are the person they were looking for .
- Include only the data that is really relevant;
- Select the most important information and highlight it;
- Don’t forget to enter your contact details, such as email and phone number;
- Take care of formatting your resume and keep it organized;
- Check grammar and spelling.
Check out more tips on how to make a good resume in our complete walkthrough .
Looking for a job does not mean that you should leave your professional training behind. Quite the opposite!
It is important that you take advantage of your availability to prepare and obtain more knowledge that makes you stand out in the job market.
You can also register for events that not only allow you to learn a lot more, but also give you the chance to meet new people and do quality networking.
Taking part in some volunteer work is a great way to meet new people, stay active and find a good job. They say the opportunities exist, but we need to go out and look for them.
In addition to being a very rewarding activity, many recruiters value candidates with experience in volunteer work.
Building your personal brand is a trend that gives you great value as a professional.
When you develop your personal brand, you can position yourself as an expert in a niche market and have the opportunity to send a unique message and differentiate yourself from the rest of the candidates .
You will find that, by being seen as a reference in your field, the path to finding the ideal job will be easier .
A job interview is your best chance to convince the employer to hire you. That’s why it’s important that you prepare very well and avoid improvising too much.
Check out some general tips that can help you:
How to dress:
- Take the time to do some research on the company’s culture and dress code. With this information, you will know how formal or informal you should go to the meeting.
- Wear clothes that you feel comfortable in and convey your personality.
What not to say:
A few comments can ruin your job interview. So, avoid them at all costs.
- Do not make negative comments about other people or companies. That is, don’t be disloyal and don’t criticize other colleagues.
- Don’t tell lies. We know you probably want to impress your interviewer, but that doesn’t mean you have to lie. Be honest, we guarantee it will be well appreciated.
- Avoid being self-centered.
- I have no questions . Saying you have no questions shows disinterest. Take advantage of your interview to clear all your doubts.
- Don’t ask about your pay and vacation at the first interview, it can give the impression that you’re sure you’ll be hired.
Some tricks to stand out:
- Research the company before going to your interview.
- Value yourself and learn to promote yourself: highlight your strengths, knowledge and skills.
- Be positive, smile and show enthusiasm for being part of the company.
- Take care of your verbal and body language: avoid sudden or nervous movements.
Nothing is more attractive to a recruiter than a professional who trusts himself and his abilities.
If you think trust is your weakness, you can also hire a coach to guide and advise you in a personalized way.
We know that being out of a job is bad. But try to be patient and keep in mind that it may take time for you to find a new job.
While this quest is tiring, keep positive thinking and don’t get discouraged. Follow all the above tips and always be prepared for selection processes.
Other opportunities for job seekers
If you’re here and want to know how to look for a job, chances are you’ve been looking for a job for some time and you haven’t been successful yet.
And if you’re just not the kind of person who’s willing to stick to office hours and have a boss to give you satisfaction, these tips are for you too!